Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Ditching Mr. Beer...sorta

I have to say, I love these little Mr. Beer kegs:

Isn't that thing adorable? Seriously though, I'm brewing beer in a 500 sq. ft. apartment in the SF Bay Area. I need stuff that fits on closet shelves, inside small ice chests, out on the balcony, and in the kitchen cabinets. The traditional bucket/carboy setup does NOT work for me.

So, instead of 'upgrading' to five gallon brewing, I decided to figure out how to make that humble piece of plastic work for me. I took out the pathetic spigot and put in a locking one. I removed the silly Mr. Beer sticker. I got two more. And I figured out just how I'd need to fill it to get 2.5 gallons in there. It's close, but do-able.

This way I get to brew twice as often (I love the process), try twice as many recipes, and use half the equipment. I can do crazy things like full boils and all grain brewing without buying a single new piece of kit. No converted cooler mash tuns, wort chillers, propane burners (I'm pretty sure I'd be kicked out of my apartment for that one) or 10 gallon pots to fuck around with. Just a stock pot, a bag and my ghetto kegs.

No comments:

Post a Comment