Saturday, June 25, 2011

Carbonation: Carbonation Levels and Priming Sugar

Lately I've been having a spate of beers that I've felt were overcarbonated. For some styles, especially American Ales, higher carbonation is okay. Too much carbonation can make other styles taste harsh and hide the malt character, especially british-style ales and ales with lots of crystal malts or malt complexity. In particular, my English IPA, Arrogant Bastard clone and English-style Apple Ale all ended up with enough carbonation to taste unpleasantly harsh. Several of my beers lately have also been gushers and require long refrigeration periods to avoid gushing.

Taste and mouth feel aren't the only problems. Last night while grabbing a few beers out of the closet I dropped one of my English IPAs. It only dropped 6 inches to the ground, but it EXPLODED. Blood and broken glass everywhere, lots of freaking out by the wife. I ended up with several small cuts on my calves and one long gash that exposed some subcutaneous tissue. Fortunately it was shallow and I closed it with some butterfly bandages and got a tetanus booster and it'll probably be okay, but it could easily have been worse.

I'm only going into disgusting details to stress the point: beer and glass is no joke! Watch your carbonation levels and be careful with your glass carboys unless you want a major hospital visit!

Anyway...

CO2 is measured in what is called 'volumes'. A volume is defined as a 1:1 ratio of CO2 and liquid, measured at 1 atomsphere of pressure. For example, one gallon of beer with one gallon of CO2 dissolved into it would have 1 volume of CO2 dissolved in it.


I use BeerSmith for both the priming sugar calculation and the recommended carbonation levels. Every style definition in BeerSmith has a carbonation range. For example, the English IPA style recommends 2.2 - 2.7 volumes of carbonation.

The first thing I considered was that I always calculate my priming sugar before measuring my final bottling volume. I look at the side of the keg and try to estimate how much beer is in there and I use that volume in the priming sugar calculation. The problem is that I always lose some of that to trub and yeast, so my volume is lower and my carbonation is higher than predicted.

Here's an example. With my English IPA (#10) I thought I had 11 quarts, because that's how much went into the fermentor. I used 73 gm for 11 quarts to create 2.6 volumes. The actual volume racked into the bottling bucket was 10 quarts. 73 grams of corn sugar added to 10 quarts actually creates almost 2.8 volumes, way higher than I intended!

The solution I've adopted to avoid this is to rack first, measure carefully using the markings on the bottling bucket and THEN calculate and mix the priming sugar. Problem solved, right?

Not really. 2.6 volumes is way too damn high for an English IPA to begin with. I didn't know this at the time, as I didn't realize that English IPAs have a more delicate flavor and need a lower carbonation than American IPAs to bring out that flavor. I started looking around at various resources on the web and realized that BeerSmith is full of shit!

Here are some carbonation levels for an English IPA from various sources:

In retrospect, I would probably carbonate at 2.0 volumes or less.

In summary, here are the things to watch out for when carbonating:
  • Don't use BeerSmith's carbonation recommendations, they are bullshit. Use TastyBrew or Beer Recipator. The BeerSmith sugar calculation is probably fine, though. I plan to go through and edit all of my BeerSmith style definitions to use better carbonation recommendations.
  • Don't measure your priming sugar until after you've racked to your bucket. If you are taking a hydrometer sample and drinking it or throwing it out, use the volume that's left after removing the hydrometer sample for your calculations.
  • Refrigerate your beer as long as possible. This not only gives you crystal clear beer, it ensures that the carbonation is properly dissolved in the beer.
  • Adjust your priming sugar calculation for the temperature of the beer at bottling. Fermentation produces CO2, which stays in the beer as 'residual CO2'. This is why you often see bubbles in your beer as it passes through your racking tubes. This can be close to 1 volume, so it is significant, and the amount depends on temperature. A beer bottled at 50 F will need less sugar than one bottled at 80 F, because cold liquid holds more CO2.
  • When in doubt, use less priming sugar than you think you might need, or stick to the rule of thumb '3/4 cup per 5 gallons'. This equates to 4 ounces or 113 grams of corn sugar for 5 gallons of racked beer, and will give you 2.3 volumes of CO2. This is too much for English styles and too little for some German and Belgian styles, but will work fine for most American styles.
  • If you are afraid of bottle bombs (unlikely unless you carbonated to 4 or 5 volumes, did not allow fermentation to finish or used really shitty bottles), put them all in a box or heavy duty bag. You do not want to go blind or slice open an artery. And for shit's sake, don't drop any!

No comments:

Post a Comment